Sunday, May 4, 2008

Prophet at our Stake Conference???


As most of you know, Sam and I are living in my parents basement apartment while saving money for a house. Which is the house I grew up in, and I had the pleasure to grow up in the same stake as Pres. Monson. And we have watched him go from the qurom of the 12, to the first presidency, and now the Prophet of our church. And today we were having stake conference, and guess who walks in, President Monson. We often get him to come to our stake conference, because he is in our stake, but it was such a strong spirit to have him be the prophet, and still want to come back to his roots, where he still has his house, and join us in singing, our talks, and eventually him at the end talking. Our stake pres. gave him 15 min at the end to just add any comments or anything he wanted to, and he actually went 20 min over time to go! He is such a spiritual man. When he comes to our stake conference he always stands up and tells stories, he doesnt prepare a talk, maybe because he doesnt know he is going to talk or how much time, or whatever. But his stories all have a special meaning. At the end of conference today, he knew everyone would want to shake his hand, and he was so patient especially with the kids, and with adults yelling his name, and with handicapped people that all just wanted to meet the prophet of our church. One of my neighbors actually had to give a talk for conference, and he talked about this magnet my dad made (my dad is the bishop of our ward) about having family home evenings, and at the end, my dad said go give one to Pres. Monson. My dad went into his office to get it, and I went up, and waited my turn, and he looked at me with my hand out, and I was trying not to stutter, or talk fast, and I forgot what I was doing! He started shaking my hand, and I was just sitting there staring! Then I finally said, My dad is the bishop who made these, and wanted you to have one. Pres. Monson said I was wondering how I would get ahold of one of those!! He shook my hand again, and said thank you very much. I was turned around with this big smile on my face, I just shook the hand of the prophet! Sam was able to shake his hand too, but I was too busy feeling the tingle in my hand, to even think about what Sam and he were saying. That was awesome, I mean the talks face to face with our Lord, and he talked face to face with me, and shook my hand! He then was talking to other children of our stake, and one asked if he could play the piano. He said he could, so he sat down, and started playing little notes on the piano. How awesome is our Prophet! I will never forget this day.... the day I shook the Prophets hand. Who can say that??

6 comments:

Will Thomas said...

Wow! What a treat. That will always be something to remember & cherish.

The Thomas Family said...

What an experience! You lucky Utah people. You go to stake confrence and the Prophet just happens to be there. Luckies! I want to live in Utah.

The Thomas Family said...

P.S. What was on the magnet you gave the Prophet?

*WhitDawg* said...

Sara thats awesome!!

Kris &Tiersa LeSueur said...

That is so amazing. I am so jelouse! What a cool story

melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.